15 March, 2010

Quotes Blast

 Under Riva Ridge, Italy
 @8" x 5"
 Charcoal
 Casey Klahn





Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done.  Amelia Earhart.

Fads are the kiss of death.  When a fad goes away, you go with it.  Conway Twitty.

In the dime stores and bus stations, people talk of situations, read books, repeat quotations, draw conclusions on the wall.  Bob Dylan.

Art is made to disturb, science reassures.  George Braque.

The history of modern art is also the history of the progressive loss of art's audience. Art has increasingly become the concern of the artist and the bafflement of the public.  Paul Gauguin. 

There's a lot of whiners in every crowd.  R. Lee Ermey.

I bought some batteries, but they weren't included.  Stephen Wright.

You would be wise not to finish a painting.  Wayne Thiebaud.
  
When you cease to exist, then who will you blame?  Bob Dylan. 

I make pictures and someone comes in and calls it art.  Willem de Kooning.

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.  Lily Tomlin.

In art the best is good enough.  Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.



Brainyquote.com

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Great quotes, Casey. I'm a big fan of Bob Dylan's lyrics and could list hundreds that measure up. He's brilliant! Thanks for some brain food.

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks for reading and commenting, Kathy. I had mixed feelings about using song lyrics, especially Dylan's. Do they measure up as an intentional quote?

This one seemed permissible, for some reason.

dominique eichi said...

What a lovely sketch. Glad you included it in your quotes blast

Casey Klahn said...

Thank you, Dominique. I went to Italy in 2006, and this is from one of my photographs.

SamArtDog said...

Someone else's smart remarks are a great way to begin a Monday morning. Thanks for posting these. Lily Tomlin's has always been a favorite. In fact, when my studio was finally finished, the first thing I did when I moved in was make a graphic out of it and tack it up.

Casey Klahn said...

One ringy dingy...

Sam, this quote was brand new to me - I guess I need to brush up on my Lily Tomlin.

I am putting some W Kahn quotes up - his 3 rules for his studio. We all need inspiration, huh?

Unknown said...

Hi Casey - I think that Dylan's lyrics do hold up as poetry and deserve to be among the ranks of others you quoted. He often writes and writes, almost in a train of thought, and the music may or may not come later.

Lisa McShane said...

Those are great! Still laughing at Tomlin's. And love the de Kooning and Thiebaud quotes!

Casey Klahn said...

Except, you know, Lisa, that deKooning actually said it differently. With a heavy Dutch accent, "I make pictures and some GD guy comes in and calls it art!"

Got to love that de Kooning.

Casey Klahn said...

Hey, Kathy. I think BD is among any great poetic list you can mention. But, is a verse a "quote?" I mean, it is meant as an art form, rather than an opinion or statement. But I guess, with that qualifier, I should also disqualify the comedians' quotes, huh?

Anonymous said...

Lovely sketch and wonderful quotes. Lily Tomlin's made me laugh right out loud. Amen.

Casey Klahn said...

Glad !

Thanks, PAMO!

Jala Pfaff said...

I love Steven Wright's one-liners.
I like this sketch a lot, Casey--it has a Toulouse-Lautrec feel to it for me.

Celeste Bergin said...

wonderful quotes---quotes have always helped me sort things out.
Great work here

Casey Klahn said...

10Q, Jala and Celeste. Toulouse-L was probably a part of my upbringing in this regard. He was an early guy involved in the art nouveau style, and I sure saw a lot of art nouveau in the sixties on posters and what not. Another big influence from those days was Peter Max.

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism