10 July, 2009

Rennaisance River

<span class=
Renaissance River
7" x 17"
Pastel
Casey Klahn


Let's stay with the River, since it flows long and cool. I moved the cedar shed image over to Pastel to keep themes separate.

If you haven't figured it out yet, dear reader, my videos accompanying these river works have all been "rough-out" and atmospheric cuts of music with the river theme. Narrative, American, unfinished: words that describe my series. Skip the videos if you must, but the whole experience weaves a story of lazy, summer times by the river; sometimes jazz, sometimes country, rock, spiritual and sometimes silly. Enjoy.

Peter Gabriel, River.




7 comments:

loriann signori said...

I have been loving the progress of your river series. The color and feeling of light, without the need for super realism, is inspiring. It is so easy to see your WK influence, but they are distinctly your own...BEAUTIFUL.

Casey Klahn said...

A heartfelt thank you, Loriann. I'm glad they don't err on the realist side too much, and happy you see that, too.

Jala Pfaff said...

Wow, wow, wow, what awesome color work in this river series! Pink + spring green = yummy. And that very dark blue-violet in a diff. painting is delicious.

Casey Klahn said...

I am happy that you are unpacking the colors, here.

That dark Ultra marine is Diane Townsend's big Terrage; almost black. Then I run a Schminke or Sennelier dark blue over it with the intent of balancing it with the whole or the near colors.

Pink and green are my favorite color combo.

Brian McGurgan said...

I love the beautiful recurring yellow skies in the river series, Casey, and the rich color in the reflections.

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks, Brian.

Did anyone notice the composition based on multiple intersecting lines? Throwback to the Renaissance.

Sara Mathewson said...

Oh Casey!
I am loving your river series! I followed your blog about two years ago and then came a time when I stopped reading and writing in my own blog. I will be back on mine soon but am so glad to find you again. In the time I have been gone, your work has developed even richer than before. You have been a favorite of mine for a long time and it feels like I've found an old friend. I love the videos with these as well and this one in particular. I believe Peter Gabriel was the singer that I used to listen to when rocking my first baby to sleep and she just turned 25 this week! Wow! Two old friends:)

Your work is beautiful.

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism