16 May, 2008

Art Barter

Army C-Ration


There was a time when I would've said my favorite barter was with a bartender, but that was just because it sounds funny.

Bartering
is a time honored activity of trading goods or services for something other than money. I remember bartering Scrambled Eggs from my C-Rations for Apple Sauce or Fried
Ham, Sliced with Juices when I was a young soldier.



Doctor's Bag


Times change, and this past week I was able to barter a pastel work for the surgery I underwent about 2 months ago. How many artists can say they've done that?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may have to try that one Casey. Where did your doctor happen across your work?

harry bell said...

Well done! I'm impressed. But also pleased to know that I don't have to consider doing it here where surgery is free under the National Health Service.

Casey Klahn said...

My surgeon knows I'm an artist in general, and my local reputation has been established at the museum art fair (Spokane ArtFest). I don't recall seeing him there, so I think he saw my work online.

Ha ha, Harry. I forgot about your system.

Robyn Sinclair said...

Oh Casey, that's priceless (your painting) and wonderful (the story). You are not the first though. An artist friend of mine here trades paintings for dental work on her daughter.

Casey Klahn said...

Yes, but the very life blood of Italy is art.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed! Glad to hear that bartering isn't dead.

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism