01 April, 2008

Transmorgification of an Image

Hut on the Heath
Feb. 2008

6" x 8"
Pastel
Casey Klahn


The word "transmorgify" is one of those wonderful new words that is becoming popular, and yet has no meaning. I use it to describe the transition that takes place when I take a scene drawn on-site, and then change it in the studio to be almost a completely different image.

Such is the case with
this image, as it started out as this image. I added a building that is taken partly from some studio references and partly from imagination. The horizon is obliterated mostly because I dislike the horizon in landscapes.

Maybe spring has been transmorgified back into winter, too. Both Saturday and Sunday it snowed and we received a foot or more of new snow each day. I went skiing. So much for my plein air program. It will be continued when spring returns!

11 comments:

jafabrit said...

I like how you transmorgified, lol! and what a great word.

Casey Klahn said...

Corrine, when I couldn't get a definition with online references, I jumped on the chance to use the word.

Laughs with glee.

Anonymous said...

i think you'll find the word is 'transmogrify'

Casey Klahn said...

Google has it both ways, smarty pants. Maybe the word transmorgified itself...

colorspeaker said...

Beautiful, Casey. Completely beautiful.
julianne "colorspeaker"

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks, Julianne.

harry bell said...

I'd never come across the word "transmorgify" and, like Mr Anonymous above, was only familiar with "transmogrify", a 17th C word defined in the OED as "to transform, esp. in a magical or surprising manner". But as you suggest, Mr Google shows me there are hundreds of uses of the new word, but only one of them on a page from the UK.

Casey Klahn said...

So, I yield to this. The word has a 17th C. derivation, and likely has been hashed-up by modern misuse. Harder to say "transmogrify" than to say "transmorgify", eh?

And, looky there. My spell checker highlights the latter as not-on-file, and allows the former. Hmmmn...

Interesting the way words develop over time. I think I like the former, too. BTW, Anon. above is an old college buddy of mine. Cheeky lad.

Robyn Sinclair said...

Beautiful, Casey!

Robyn Sinclair said...

I love this one.

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks double, Robyn.

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism